Tuesday, August 21, 2012

On Living and Leaving a Trace


“The most beloved of people to Allaah is the one who is most helpful” 
(The Prophet Muhammad (pbuh))


It’s that time of the year again, people flock into each others houses, causing so much ruckus; the neighbours upon seeing that there are more than 60 people in that house for 6 can only try to close their eyes and go to sleep, cursing under their breaths, minty after that 2 minute brush before bed.

Haha ok that doesn't happen everywhere, only tonight when I went to an open house by the boys in Cameron St. People were playing table tennis outside and having loud conversations inside. If I were to be their neighbour I would be a bit pissed off. But hey! Its Eid!! Cut us some slack will ya?

Gents of Malay origin. We wear pyjamas with skirts because its Eid and we're so badass !
Yes ladies and gents, yesterday was Eid. A celebration marking the end of Ramadhan, giving thanks and exalting Allah for His Mercy upon us puny human beings as due to His Mercy, we have once again went through (hopefully) rigorous cleansing of our souls, minds and body. 30 days of constant meditation, optimism, anger management, gluttony control and remembering the ubiquitous blessings of Allah unto us.

Matching Baju Melayu. Bromance at its finest.
This year's celebration sees me in a bit of a different situation than years before. Namely, many of the friends I have celebrated Eids with these four years prior weren't there. Literally! Its either they've went back to Malaysia, or a wife, a wife and a kid, gone off to some other state or having a cursed presentation. Yesterday, in the mass of people, I actually felt isolated. And as a lady told me earlier this week "isolation amongst masses is the worst sort of isolation".  For this reason, I guess I would appear a bit smug anytime yesterday, as evident as  the constant checking of my mood by a good friend yesterday to which I answered "yeah…! I'm alright, why wouldn't I be?". I'm the worst mood concealer in the whole world!!!

Not that I am deprived of any friends to enjoy the festivities with, mind you, there were still many friends who were there.  I'm just picky that way. I know I'm really obnoxious.

This is Syafiq. He constantly asks me if I'm ok. I love him.
Owh well, this kinda reminds me of the time I have left here in Newcastle. I don’t know if I would be able to stay here after the end of this year. As heavy as my heart would be to leave this place I have now called home, my brain feels tired to trying to work ways of staying without an offer for a medical internship.

Which brings me to a point, I wonder if my being here for the five years have had any effect on the people around me. Have my presence brought anything positive to anyone at all ? To what degree ? Did I do something that would be made example of, or inspired someone to be better ? Did I make people smile ? Did I make people feel better about themselves ? Have I served to unite or have the things I have done divided ? It’s a question I ask myself whenever I feel like I am leaving somewhere.

Note that I still have 2 rotations to go through before I end med school. So this might be melodramatic, but I cant help to think that I just want an assurance that before I leave, I have done something someone thought really meaningful. This is not trickery to get people to comment on my comment-less blog, haha ! No….seriously…no. It's just a question I constantly ask myself, even before I go to bed at night. If death takes me under his wings before sunrise tomorrow, would I leave knowing that I have done good?
This is Br Kamal. He is so cool.
Owh ~ what is this kind of talk? So serious !!! Lets talk about the kinds of food that I have been shoving down my stomach since yesterday instead!

Ok to those people who feel the need to tell people about whatever food they have had for Eid this year, seriously guys….has there been any year since our births that we have had food any different to what we have ever had for Eid ?

But no I don’t object to talking about food. I just find this passive aggressive part of me really interesting to think about by myself whenever I have made a bitchy statement to someone. Haha !



Back to the topic, I think its something I need to tell people, and probably something that we need to stress more to people who newly arrive into a situation. That we need to make our presences count. To be of use to people around us, to be beneficial, to help to lift the burden off of our friends' shoulders, to be there in moments of despair and moments of happiness. Our presence don’t have to be noticeable, but they need to count. So that one day when your kids asked you "Daddy daddy…when you were in Uni, what did you do?" , instead of saying "Well mate, I studied ! And went to the gym! And then I slept and ate cheap bread because I was not so rich"; you can smile and reminisce on the cherished memories of you making differences in peoples' lives. And you can say "Well sweetie, I used to have lots of good friends, we grew together and taught each other stuff. We wanted to make changes to the world! We helped each other out when we were in trouble, we were more than friends, we were like blood brothers and sisters. And we wanted to make changes to ourselves, so we can make changes to the world so we can have a better place for you to live in "

Me shoving food down my throat. Hanif pointing to the ceiling. 
...the melodramatic kookaburra again flies above our heads... As if you are going to say stuff like that to your children! Well maybe not those exact words, but something similar I hope…Bahahaha !





Ok that’s enough ! I just want to make this point clear to everyone here. I understand that not everyone are suited and pre-programmed to be able to make loud, obvious and apparent contributions to the society they live in, but I believe the single person as the social unit have the power to influence their surroundings enough to make good more prevalent than evil.

I humbly now conclude my blog entry.


Eid during my first year in Newcastle


“The most beloved deed to Allah is making a Muslim happy” 
(Muhammad ibn Abdullah (pbuh))



Hoping to one day video record his room mate sleep talking,
Azfar


 p.s.: photographs taken from tagged photographs on Facebook. Will ask permission from owners tomorrow.
  

10 comments:

  1. exactly how i felt on Sunday! well, nobody's getting younger, aite? people come and go, but Allah never leaves us. cheer up! go flash that million dollar smile to the people around you =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah its like youre trying to suck everything in so youll remember, so you end up scanning the whole area and looking at everything slowly. That makes you look like youre someone in a music video with a poem recital on the background.

      :D

      Delete
  2. isolation amongst masses is the worst sort of isolation..

    Funny.. That's how i felt on that day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which day are we talking about here...?

      Delete
    2. Sunday 19/08/2012 Eid-ul Fitr day. remember?

      Delete
    3. haha yes...i must admit to playing dumb there before just to prolong the discussion hah! but why should you feel that way? (btw I'm not really sure who you are so excuse me for the ignorant questions)

      Delete
    4. =) there are things that better left unsaid and to be forgotten. hoho..

      your story kinda hit me. it's like reading my own mind, up to certain extent.

      (nah.. it's okay. i'm just a mere human being that suddenly stumbled upon here.)

      Delete
    5. Thats interesting that some things that i write connect to people. Although i must admit the pattern of people telling me that they randomly stumble upon my blog is disturbingly recurrent. Haha.


      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Ehhhhh....???? *garu-garu kepala* ni kat mane ni...?
      *ooh!!*

      Thanks for that !

      I just remembered I have a blog...! Gosh its been silent for so long ceh~ Haha thanks now I remember I should write something soon !!

      Delete